TradeStation 9.1 ELCollections/ADE Multicore Beta2

Topic URL:https://community.tradestation.com/Discussions/Topic.aspx?Topic_ID=126114
Printed on:09/17/2019 07:14:45
Topic:

Topic author:Peter@TS
Subject:TradeStation 9.1 ELCollections/ADE Multicore Beta2
Posted on:03/01/2013 10:31:36
Dear TradeStation Users:

A new beta version of the ELCollections/ADE enhanced for TradeStation 9.1 multicore is now available. For your convenience, we have posted a single install file. Please note this is a “beta” version and should be used for testing purposes only. Feedback should be posted to the beta forum only.

PLEASE NOTE - ONLY select the "Save As" selection, then save to your desktop and run this executable.

Attachment:DATA/TS_ADE-ELC_Installer.exe

Updates in this new version:
  • Memory management has been tuned to support larger ADE data sets.

• File functions now use file locking for robust concurrent operations.

• The ADE directory specified during installation is now stored in the Windows registry by the installer.

• The ADE.Directory function now reads the directory location from the registry. You no longer need to customize this function if you are using an ADE directory different from C:\ADE. Just specify the location of your ADE directory during installation, and the ADE.Directory function will automatically return that location.

• If you move or rename your ADE directory, just navigate to that directory in Windows Explorer and double-click UpdateADEPath.cmd. This will update the path in the registry so that ADE uses the new directory location.

• The ADE template files have been moved to a Templates subdirectory within the ADE directory.

• The ADE User Guide and ELCollections Guide are now delivered as bookmarked PDF files.

• ELCollections.dll and ELCServer.exe now stay loaded automatically during an optimization.

Replies:

Reply author:pturn
Replied on:03/01/2013 12:24:16
What do we do with the old Alpha ADE?

Do we uninstall it, or just install this new version?

Replied on:03/01/2013 13:24:57
Also - Shouldn't this just be bundled in with new versions of TS?

Reply author:TSDevTeam3
Replied on:03/01/2013 14:00:13
pturn,

You don't need to uninstall the old alpha or beta version of ADE. The Beta-2 installer will automatically update your configuration. Just be sure to overwrite all of your ADE/ELC EasyLanguage functions and indicators during the ELD import, since some of them have been revised.

We discussed bundling ADE/ELC with the platform, but for now we will continue to provide it as an add-on.

Replied on:03/01/2013 14:25:45
Thanks

But it would just be easier for everyone, if the DLL's came with TS.

Most of us Only run TS on our Trading Computer - So we have gobs of space on our hard drive...

Reply author:VKTrader
Replied on:03/06/2013 17:11:52
FYI - I have been using ELC Beta 1(without issues). Installed Beta 2 yesterday to try it out. Since then TS froze 3 times and I can only think of this being the change. To isolate - I have reverted back to beta 1. Would provide how this would behave in couple of days..

Thanks

Replied on:03/06/2013 17:55:09
VKTrader,

If you can provide a reproducible test case for this, that would be very helpful. We have tested the new ELC beta extensively on this side and not seen any issues with it. If you can verify that the freezes were caused by the new beta and not some other issue, we would like to isolate the problem and fix it ASAP. Thanks!

Replied on:03/06/2013 18:06:23
TSDevTeam3 -> I would try to provide the test case If I can.

FYI - I use a combination of Maps(Shared) and Lists and only use them for Charts(4 charts and single instrument ES ). Only one chart would publish the data and rest of the charts would read this information in read-only mode. Nothing fancy/complex that I could think of. This has been working well all along with beta 1 & "Enable use of multiple cores" option under general chart preferences. I can only think of beta2 being a change which has caused the TS to freeze 3 times since yesterday. To isolate I have reverted to beta 1 ELC and see if it becomes stable. After that would re-attempt to run it with beta 2 to see if I run into the same issue.

Thanks

Reply author:ABWC
Replied on:03/08/2013 16:54:39
quote:
Originally posted by pturn
Also - Shouldn't this just be bundled in with new versions of TS?

Yes, unequivocally yes.

The combination of strengths between GlobalDictionary and ADE-ELC would be a quantum-leap forward.

And by integrating ADE-ELC, syntax would be well-aligned with the rest of OOEL syntax.

Since I learned OOEL first, before picking up ADE, learning to use ADE was a real challenge-- purely because of syntax alone.

Replied on:03/11/2013 14:57:20
TSDevTeam3 - After going through a clean install when all the processes were down - Beta 2 has been stable and haven't observed any type of Freeze. Thank you for your support on this matter.

PS: Would report back if I notice any issues in the future in this space but overall looking good so far.

Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by VKTrader
TSDevTeam3 -> I would try to provide the test case If I can.

FYI - I use a combination of Maps(Shared) and Lists and only use them for Charts(4 charts and single instrument ES ). Only one chart would publish the data and rest of the charts would read this information in read-only mode. Nothing fancy/complex that I could think of. This has been working well all along with beta 1 & "Enable use of multiple cores" option under general chart preferences. I can only think of beta2 being a change which has caused the TS to freeze 3 times since yesterday. To isolate I have reverted to beta 1 ELC and see if it becomes stable. After that would re-attempt to run it with beta 2 to see if I run into the same issue.

Thanks

Replied on:03/11/2013 15:58:25
VKTrader, thanks for the update. I'm glad to know that it is working now.

To anyone installing ADE/ELC Beta-2: Please be sure to close all TradeStation processes (including ELCServer.exe) before installing the new version of ADE/ELC. This will help to ensure that you have a clean install so that you don't run into problems with incompatible components. (In particular, you must be using compatible versions of ELCollections2.dll and ELCServer.exe, or you will run into problems.)

We will revise the installer in the next update so that it ensures that TS is not running before performing the installation.

Thanks,
Marshall

Reply author:TradingDude
Replied on:03/11/2013 16:55:57
quote:
(In particular, you must be using compatible versions of ELCollections2.dll and ELCServer.exe, or you will run into problems.)

Are these not included in Beta-2 install?

I have the original user developed, do we install first ADE Multicore Beta over the original and then Beta-2?

TradeStation 9.1 ELCollections/ADE Multicore Beta

https://community.tradestation.com/Discussions/Topic.aspx?Topic_ID=121964

TradingDude

Replied on:03/11/2013 17:31:21
TradingDude,

All of the necessary components are provided by the Beta-2 installer, including ELCollections2.dll and ELCServer.exe.

You do not have to install the first Beta before installing Beta-2. Just close down TradeStation and run the Beta-2 installer, and you should be fine.

After copying over the necessary files, the installer will launch TradeStation and import the ELD file. Please note that you must overwrite the old versions of all ADE/ELC EasyLanguage functions and indicators when you import the ELD. The implementation of many of these functions has changed in the multi-core version, but the interface is 100% backwards compatible with the original ADE/ELC. Any code you've written on top of the original version should work fine with the new version, as long as it relies solely on the EasyLanguage interface. (It's possible to call into the DLL directly from your code, but the EL interface has always been the official interface for ADE/ELC, and that is what we are supporting.)

My comment about making sure that TradeStation is closed before starting the install is most relevant to users who already have Beta-1 installed. If one of the executable components is open, it might not get updated by the installer. This could cause you to have incompatible versions, e.g. ELCServer.exe from Beta-1 and ELCollections2.dll from Beta-2. That's never a good thing. :) (This is reported as an install error, but it could easily escape a user's notice since the ELD import is launched immediately afterwards. We will revise the installer so that it stops before the ELD import if there is an error. This should make install errors more obvious if they occur.)

Anyway, starting the install with TradeStation and ELCServer closed should prevent problems of this kind.

I hope this clarifies things. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Marshall

Reply author:progster
Replied on:03/21/2013 07:47:42
This installer worked for me on one machine (Win8 32b TS 9.1 u13) but did not work for me on another machine (Win8 64b TS 9.1 u18).

On the machine where it did not work, the only thing seen was a message flashing past that Version_Notes.txt was being extracted. That's it. The ADE location dialog was never reached.

Replied on:03/21/2013 19:14:50
progster,

The installer is a self-extracting archive. It unpacks itself and then executes the "real" installer from your temp directory. It sounds like the first step succeeded, but then it was unable to launch the installer app for some reason.

I will follow up with you privately and then report our findings here once we know more.

Marshall

Replied on:03/23/2013 14:56:43
Installation of Update18 and ADE-ELC Beta-2 (3-22-2013) were successful in both Win7 Pro and Win8 Pro. ADE-ELC ELD also imported correctly and verified.

Do we need or can both ELCollection DLLs co-exist in Tradestation's program directory?

TradingDude

Replied on:03/23/2013 17:02:02
TradingDude,

All of the new EL functions imported from the ELD reference ELCollections2.dll, so it's theoretically fine to have the old DLL in the directory.

However, I would recommend deleting the old ELCollections.dll from that directory. This just ensures that you don't have any other EL functions (outside the standard ADE/ELC set) that are still accessing the old DLL. This is unlikely unless you or a third party wrote EL functions that access the DLL directly, but it never hurts to be safe. If you do have incompatible EL functions and the old DLL has been deleted, you'll get an error message instead of undefined behavior.

Also, if you ever import an old ELD that relies on ADE/ELC and accidentally overwrite the new ADE/ELC functions, this will help you catch the problem. (If you want to make sure this never happens, you can always re-import the TS-ADE-ELC.ELD file from your ADE directory after importing any older ELD files that rely on ADE/ELC.)

Marshall

Replied on:03/24/2013 10:32:33
quote:
Originally posted by TSDevTeam3
progster,

The installer is a self-extracting archive. It unpacks itself and then executes the "real" installer from your temp directory. It sounds like the first step succeeded, but then it was unable to launch the installer app for some reason.

I will follow up with you privately and then report our findings here once we know more.

Marshall

I have the similar issue as progster on a 3rd computer, Win7 Pro 64-bit. TS 9.1 Update18.

I just see it unpacking.

Successfully unpacked and installed on 2 others.

Please let me know how to proceed.

TradingDude

Replied on:03/24/2013 12:57:07
TradingDude,

We just succeeded in identifying the install problem that progster encountered. It was caused by an unexpected key in the registry.

We are revising the installer so that it handles this situation more gracefully, and we will post an updated installer soon. In the meantime, however, you might be able to solve the problem by modifying your registry. I would prefer not to post instructions here about how to do that, especially since I need to check with other engineers about whether the problem key is ever valid in that part of the registry. However, if you need to get the installer working on that machine before the update is posted, send me a PM at TSDevTeam3 and I'll reply with instructions for you to try.

Marshall

Reply author:S@DBTrader
Replied on:03/24/2013 13:05:02
Hi Peter, Marshall,

I was wondering if you can provide the code for ELCollections2.dll and ELCServer.exe for those that are interested?

The original ELCollections.dll source was available on the forum and it would be nice to have the same ability to view the source in this new version should a problem come up.

Thank you,
Sean

Replied on:03/25/2013 11:33:20
Sean,

The original ELCollections was a user contribution to the community, so there was no problem with making the source code available.

The multi-core version of ELCollections was developed for TradeStation under contract, and the company owns the rights to it. Since there is significant IP in this new version, there are no plans to make the source code available. (It might seem that the multi-core version is a straightforward update, but in fact it is a major revision. The design challenges of creating a general purpose multi-process collections library far exceeded the work of writing the original library.)

Marshall

Replied on:03/25/2013 11:40:28
Hello all,

A revised installer has been uploaded and is now available at the link above. This should fix the installer issues that have been reported so far.

Please note that this is not a new beta version -- the installed files are exactly the same. This is purely an installer update. If you have already installed successfully, you do not need run the installer again. However, you may wish to download and replace your installer so that you don't have problems on future installs.

If anyone runs into issues with the new installer, let me know and we'll look into it.

Marshall

Replied on:03/25/2013 11:42:10
When are you going to start including this with each version of TS?

Replied on:03/25/2013 11:53:59
Revised Installer worked flawlessly.

Thanks for the quick fix.

TradingDude

Reply author:robertpisani
Replied on:04/23/2013 15:02:03
what is the link to the revised installer?

Replied on:04/23/2013 15:13:02
Robert,

It's the same link as before (in the first post of this thread) -- we just put a new installer file on the server.

If you recently downloaded the installer from that link and you are running into issues with it, please let me know.

Marshall

Reply author:androidMarvin
Replied on:05/28/2013 05:37:47
I downloaded the installer today, and saved it :

Accepted C:\ADE then received a "successfully installed" dialog and a prompt to log in to Tradestation

Nothing much happened then, but the TS directory includes ELC2.dll

but the interface functions weren't created :

Any suggestions, please? Vista-32, update 20, closed down before starting the install.

Replied on:05/28/2013 11:36:00
android,

So to clarify:

1. You ran the installer.
2. After copying the files, it launched the platform and displayed the login dialog.
3. You logged into the TS network.
4. Nothing happened after this?

Normally after you log into the TS network, you will see the ELD file being imported. You do need to log in (or click Work Offline) in order for this to happen.

You should be able to import the ELD file yourself in order to get the interface functions. Just import TS-ADE-ELC.ELD from your ADE directory.

If you did log in and the import wasn't started automatically, I'm not sure how to trouble-shoot that. To perform this step, the installer just launches the platform and passes the ELD file as a command-line argument.

Marshall

Reply author:androidMarvin
Replied on:05/28/2013 12:20:12
quote:
Originally posted by TSDevTeam3
android,

So to clarify:

1. You ran the installer.
2. After copying the files, it launched the platform and displayed the login dialog.
3. You logged into the TS network.
4. Nothing happened after this?

Yes.

quote:
Normally after you log into the TS network, you will see the ELD file being imported. You do need to log in (or click Work Offline) in order for this to happen.

That's what I expected, but TS didn't seem to start once I logged in to my simulated account. Importing TS-ADE-ELC.ELD from your ADE directory compiled 247 functions, so don't bother worrying about the problem unless you get more reports; I'm OK.

Reply author:ThomasDeTankEngine
Replied on:05/30/2013 17:44:44
The installer worked extremely well for me. The only slight problem I had required deleting the contents of my old ADE directory and then re-running the installer. Approximately,when is it anticipated that these new programs will be generally available to TradeStation users who are not developers?

Replied on:05/30/2013 21:01:38
Hi Thomas,

A release version of ADE/ELC is built and ready to go. I will follow up with Product Management about how soon we can release this to users.

Thanks,
Marshall

Replied on:05/30/2013 22:47:28
I sure Hope it installs with new versions of TS, and not be a separate installation.
Keeps things simple.

Reply author:Switch
Replied on:06/10/2013 17:50:48
I have installed ADE/ELC Multi-core Beta and I have created myclass from templates.
For use with ticks bars I have substituited normal functins with ADE.TickBarT() and ADE.TypeZeroBarID.
I cannot save the fields created,
Value1 = ADE.SaveMap(Class, GetSymbolName, ADE.TickBarT(Interval));
don't work.
Can help me to solve this problem?
Many thanks in advance

Replied on:06/10/2013 19:27:29
Hi Switch,

Since your question is very specific, can you post it in a separate thread in the Beta forum and I will follow up there? I would prefer to keep this main thread devoted to more general questions about the ADE/ELC Beta.

Also, it would be helpful if you could post your code in that thread. Feel free to rename your variables to nonsense names if you want to protect proprietary information. I only need to see the general structure of the code. I can make random guesses as to what might be wrong, but it will save us both time if I can just see what you are doing. :)

Thanks,
Marshall